[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
RabidHaMsTeR.Org • View topic - Error when starting R4

Error when starting R4

For questions about problems with R4 and Bug reports

Moderators: rabidhamster, Rovastar

Error when starting R4

Postby rX enthusiast » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:51 am

Is there something special to do to get it running?

Receive an error

!H:\R4\Wave.In.Cpp:87>Failed to open waveform input device [MMSYSTEM010 An invalid flag was passed to a system function.]
rX enthusiast

Postby rabidhamster » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:45 pm

This is going to be a soundcard setup problem. Its possible R4 is trying to record at some rate that the soundcard doesn't like, or another application is using the sound card's wave input.

R4 doesn't use WinAmp for sound. Instead it gets sound direct from the card. This means you'll have to set up the record device for your sound card (on the sound icon in the bottom-right of the screen) to be either 'Wave' or 'Master' (it its Master, the volume for wave should be set high).

I know some soundcards don't have this. You can either Loop line-in to line-out at the back of your PC, try and get new drivers that have the option, get a new sound card, or cry.

What is the soundcard you are using by the way? it would help to know which ones have problems.

- Gordon
rabidhamster
Site Admin

i get that too

Postby exsanity » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:01 am

my sound card is sb 1024+
exsanity

Postby Mycroft » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:25 am

Ok, don't feel so bad now
(had a private chat as I thought I performed basic fumble that I didn't want the rest of you to guffaw over) :oops:
Nope, I'm not alone

Still got the same trouble though
What sound cards do you know work fersure?

I followed the "set up the record device for your sound card " advice
Still no change....
Line out to line in = nope

Beta is Beta and we all know what works on our windowsXP window on the IBM mainframe at work through a playstation with a Samsung remote
MIGHT not actually work on someoneelses solarpowered Mac with the virtual goggles and infrared lightsabre......So.....No Sweat

Patience is it's own virtue

Mycroft
Last edited by Mycroft on Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mycroft

Postby rabidhamster » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:56 pm

rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby Mycroft » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:28 pm

Mycroft

Postby rabidhamster » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:40 pm

rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby rabidhamster » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:01 pm

rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:30 pm

Postby rabidhamster » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:11 pm

rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:28 am

Being 'Antsy to play' I decided NOT to be lazy and being the structured programmer you are :) I figured you had a definition and found it.

Of course didnt know the 'gl/bpp 16' command

800x600 definitely helped... some scens at 1024 only avg 10-20fps ill play with the 1024x768 at 16 now that I know that as well.

Since remembering my name can be a problem, remembering your scene is way too difficult :lol: so is there currently a way to display the scene name ALL the time like the FPS? The Scene Name Display would help (me anyway) determine and describe issues

By the way is there a FPS off command? (Only reason I need it currently is so I DONT KNOW how SLOW my card is) :P

-------------

When R4 runs (everything being left the same) is its 'Routine' the same whether you have SOUND going or NOT? Meaning besides your 'bass/beat' detection will it follow the same pattern.

I assume later on you will have it 'Fade to black' or go into some 'preset loop' when theres no sound input. (Maybe later add a toggle for people that want to just use it as a screensaver)

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:44 pm

Well I took the extra scene images from your web page and printed them out for now to try and match them if I have issues but theres a scene that fades to black for a bit so unfortunately I cant tell you what scene that is..

Is there a way to Display the scene name yet?

Postby rabidhamster » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:01 pm

No scene name display yet. I'll try and add it when i get an options screen so people can turn stuff on and off. I think i know the issue with the fade to black. I think it the cubefield-based things, and i sorted them in version 0.04 which is up for download.

If you have 0.04 i'd be exteremely interested if its still happening :D

As for screen res, you may find the gl/pbuffer/width+height settings help too. try keeping width at 512 and put height at 256. That should drastically improve speed, but at the expense of making some things more blurry :) Turning off antialiasing and antisotropic filtering in your video card options will also increase speed by a load, again at the expense of quality :(

At the moment, the scene changes in R4 are random. There is a scene preference, which is how much time the scene should be up for - the actual time its on will be 50% to 150% of that. The probability it will be selected is just the ratio of its preference to everything else's.
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby teleguise » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:17 pm

Actually I am using 0.4....And I just ran it again while typing this and it
does go to black..

EDIT : Ok I had some other strange issue when shutting down r4 that I caused but will mention that in the other thread...

Actually I will start a new Topic since this is really Scene Related and not a Startup issue
teleguise

Postby rabidhamster » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:58 pm

rabidhamster
Site Admin

Next

Return to R4 Bugs/Problems