[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
RabidHaMsTeR.Org • View topic - Error - wglGetExtensionStringARB

Error - wglGetExtensionStringARB

For questions about problems with R4 and Bug reports

Moderators: rabidhamster, Rovastar

Error - wglGetExtensionStringARB

Postby Rovastar » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:38 pm

Hi Gordon,

As I mentioned to you before I am getting an error on this bag of shit MAtrox G450 Dual Head card I have here atm. (intel 800mhz, 256 RAM, win 2000 advanced server (all i could find to reinstalll it lol))

I do not expect it to be fixed but the error for the record is

!H:\R4\R$GlExt.cpp:49>Unable to get address for wglGetExtensionsStringARB! []

I cannot find any (/very little) info about this error on the web and I wondered if you have any ideas.

NOt so much for me atm. (Although I want to do stuff on it) but for future compatibailty with the R4 engine. I know downrating comments do not mean so much but r2/e was more stable then most and to be a succesful platform really it needs to be as stable. I cannot even run it with this card and a stupidly small window.

--------------------
log file
--------------------
|)
|\4
R4 LOG FILE
>H:\R4\WaveIn.cpp:122>Started []
>H:\R4\R4GlExt.cpp:40>Loading OpenGL Extensions... []
!H:\R4\R4GlExt.cpp:49>Unable to get address for wglGetExtensionsStringARB! []
Last edited by Rovastar on Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rovastar

Postby teleguise » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:58 pm

WOW, and you RAZZ me about my ATI. (G)

No offense 'Rovastar' :P
Last edited by teleguise on Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
teleguise

Postby Rovastar » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:21 am

:) It is only a temporary measure as it is not my machine but all I can get my hands on my now sadly modest GF4 Ti 4200 at the moment. :)

Anyway like I said it is more of others for when R4 is live in whatever guise it may be. :) but I would like to see it on a decent level of compatibility with all/many cards. Levels approaching r2/e, tripex, MilKDrop, etc. SAdly my support of OpenGl isn't brillant thus asking for clues thorough my MilKDrop support I know a load of crap about how to get DirectX working.
Rovastar

Postby Rovastar » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:29 am

That is teh plan of teh beta to iron out any bugs taht occur. I could pimp it loads and have many more coem to teh site. (I have recently (well tonight) added a link from my website although not pimped it on the homepage yet or the WA forums.

Not want to get too much bad publicity at this stage.
Rovastar

Postby rabidhamster » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:07 pm

Hi. sorry - missed that post :p
Ok. Matrox must really suck.
the wglExtensionString wotsit is a function that lists all the extensions to OpenGL that the video card supports. R4 needs multitexturing and PBuffers - these are actually almost standard now, and i'd have thought that having the function was a necesity.

The fact that Matrox didn't see fit to even include a function that would tell you that they hadn't implemented any extensions is extremely worrying. Does it have the latest drivers? I'm pretty sure the Parhelia drivers had an extension string because they supported loads of nifty stuff.

Its possible you're not even using Matrox OpenGL, but the Standard Microsoft software renderer. It would explain why everything was so bloody awful :)
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby Rovastar » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:59 pm

Yeah latest drivers. R2E worked on this machine. So I know it has passable OpenGL support.

Oh well I will have may normally machine back in a week or so.
Rovastar

Postby Rovastar » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:48 pm

Ummh would it be possible to test a copy without the wglGetExtensionsStringARB command check in?

I am more curious than anything else at this stage,.
Rovastar

Postby rabidhamster » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:42 pm

If you look at the beginning of the R2e log file it should write the name of the 'GL renderer. I forgot to do this in R4.

Believe me, i can't remove the function call - if R4 can't get the extensions it needs, it just won't work. PBuffers are vital.

That is what the Matrox G400 can do. i assume the G450 is the same.
The Parhelia does everyuthing though so i assume its just Matrox being lazy gits again.

- Gordon
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby Rovastar » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:52 pm

It was just a thought. :);)

Ok then what about a nicer error message that what we get already.

Blah, blah you graphics card is of insufficent specifaction to run R4.

R2e info:
GL_VENDOR : Matrox Graphics Inc.
GL_RENDERER : Matrox G400
GL_VERSION : 1.1.3 Jul 30 2003

At least you know now that this card doesn't work. :)

Hold on if matrox are being that lazy I am going to hassle them .:)
Rovastar

Postby rabidhamster » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:00 pm

Tried that. Spent 200 quid on a Millennium II because (so Matrox said) it was one of the most high-end workstation cards. Strangely though this workstation card didn't support OpenGL - it was a joke.

Anyway, Matrox weren't helpful at all, and i bet they won't be helpful with you either. Only thing i can suggest is never buy anything from them again. Its what I did :)

As for error messages, its not helpful to the user, but it is to me :) I suppose i could make it produce two messages or something.

- Gordon
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby Rovastar » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:17 pm

Actually maybe they have learned teh error of there ways. I posted on their forums and replied already although asked me to email directly to teh dev deportment, which I have now. :)

Actually they seem helpful in the TS department (reading the posts etc) but obviously we will see I do not expect anything from this I am just curious now. :)

I didn't mean helpful to teh user I more meant afriendly non totally geek out why of saying. Of course you can have more info and have stuff in teh log file etc just to me it looks a little clearer & professional to the basic home user. Just thinking of the 'bigger picture' too much again i suppose. :)
Rovastar

Postby Rovastar » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:24 pm

You know all theose 'downraters', etc You program just didn't work with a stupid error. If maybe they know it was probably because they had a crappy video card then maybe it cause less complaints.
Rovastar

Return to R4 Bugs/Problems