[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
RabidHaMsTeR.Org • View topic - Beta 007 Issues

Beta 007 Issues

For questions about problems with R4 and Bug reports

Moderators: rabidhamster, Rovastar

Postby Talesin » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:32 pm

Oh, none of them are like the snapshot, but I can't see the snapshot that clearly. Is it smooth-blurred? It gets that way at stupid-high blurcounts, but at lower ones (with four or five images following the Medusa arms) it more looks like a series of snapshot 'afterimages' following.

And Teleguise, the less-swirl could be due to your card not being able to keep the framerate up... I've noticed that when the framerate drops, so does the motion of things like SnakeCube and Medusa. Conversely, when the framerate is stupid-high (300fps+ on snakecube) it spazzes out and pretty much wraps around itself incredibly tightly because it's spinning so fast.
Talesin

Postby rabidhamster » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:31 pm

The medusa + snakecube aren't supposed to change with speed. I was very careful about that (but i noticed it too - yep, i screwed up again :) )

So, just to kindof finish off this thread, Talesin sent some pics of some of the scenes and I had an idea about multitexturing - Teleguise tested swapping the textures over in MIX in the groovedots scene and it works.

So... it could be an ATI driver issue, or it could be me being an idiot again. I've asked ATI if there's anything they can see thats wrong with the code - We shall see.
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby teleguise » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:47 pm

Like you said Talesin, definitely a frame rate issue cuz Snakecube can go wild while the scenes that tax my old 7200 the motion slows.

-Gordon That did improve Radial Blurred Medusa, like you thought as well.
Also played a little w/the other problem scenes, Emboss Tunnel is now closer to the snapshot w/buffer.

So it sounds like this thread and whole problem can be put to rest pretty soon. Will be interesting to hear what they have to say...
teleguise

Postby rabidhamster » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:53 pm

me too :)
It may be my fault, but its odd it works fine on NVidia.

- Gordon
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby Talesin » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:15 am

Just as a note, it seems the 'Refresh Rate' option doesn't work on the ATI either. If it's supposed to lock the framerate to your sync, that is. Unless I turn VSync on in the Catalyst drivers, I'll get 300+fps in pretty much everything, with the Snakecube and Medusa going nuts, as well as tearing like mad. :b

<edit> And if you're already in contact with ATI, any chance you could find out what they screwed up in the Catalysts that make the Point Torus (R2E), Point Sparkball (R2E), Pointmorph Snakecube (R4), and Bubble scenes (R4) slow down so painfully horribly? That's DEFINITELY a driver issue, as sitting on Cat3.2, they run just happy and fine. But (IIRC) any revision after that, they bork and drop to about 4fps. </edit>
Talesin

Postby rabidhamster » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:37 am

The refresh rate option sets your monitor's refresh rate (if you have a monitor with OSD you can probably check). I'm not sure i can set up vsync without an extension, and we *all* know what that means... :)

As for the ATI thing, i know what it is :) Its a 'GL routine called glReadPixels. It reads pixels from the video card into the computer's main memory. I don't use it to read very many, i hasten to add.

I can imagine the issue at the moment is that it has to convert from ATI's internal 24 bit floating point representation to bytes. I can't even get around this my asking it to read floats back, because the format is non-standard :(

It shouldn't be *that* slow, but then don't expect it to be anywhere near as fast as a dx8 card or before. Ironic really :)
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby Talesin » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:33 pm

Talesin

Postby rabidhamster » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:22 am

rabidhamster
Site Admin

Previous

Return to R4 Bugs/Problems