[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
RabidHaMsTeR.Org • View topic - hackers anyone?

hackers anyone?

Suggestions + Info on development of R4 visuals

Moderators: rabidhamster, Rovastar

hackers anyone?

Postby acidtrik » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:26 am

heh, i just noticed that spinning matrix blocks look a lot like the scene from hackers when we're taken into the "gibson" and just zooming around in there, and its not just the matrix blocks there goes another one using the same pattern, boxes of light i guess.
acidtrik

just a followup

Postby acidtrik » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:29 am

after watching r4 for a while i have concluded that prolly close to 1/10 of the animations use the same "hackers scene" just sped up or slowed down with various effects added to the boxes. just something interesting to note, altho i would like some sort of response from people either agreeing or disagreeing.
acidtrik

Postby Rovastar » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:26 pm

? What scenes do you mean?

I have not seen/don't remember Hackers.

Yes we do use the modules multiple times throughout R4. Medusas, snakecube, tunnels, cubefeilds, etc. I persume you are refering to the cubefeild one. We try and tweak and change the scenes so they look different and orginal from the others....
Rovastar

the scene

Postby acidtrik » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:25 pm

the scene i'm speaking of happens about 40 minutes into the movie. It is a scene where one of the characters is "hacking" a super computer. In this scene, the audience is taken inside of the super computer and instead of making it boring by looking at a command prompt, they animated a little scene where all of the folders are represented by glowing blocks with all of the sub directories scrolling on the outside of the box. The 3D animation, and more specifically the way the camera angles pan around the blocks, bear a striking resemblance to the animated blocks in R4.
acidtrik

Postby carmatic » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:09 pm

thats the whole point of r4 isnt it, making something look un-boring for people
carmatic

Postby acidtrik » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:26 pm

sure, but if it's being sold or marketed for profit i would hate to see copyright issues come up, because there has been a huge push in the whole copyright world especially by the mpaa.
acidtrik

Postby carmatic » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:28 pm

well, were only paranoid about it, if the mpaa are paranoid about it...
carmatic

Postby Rovastar » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:13 pm

Ummh if it is the cube fields than it is just simply cubes in a 3d grid. I find it difficult for someone to copyright that concept.

Having not seen the film I find it difficult to comment on it.

But on a side note it really makes me laugh/cry when I see computers/hackers portrayed in the way. I swear the outside world think that hackers play some kind of advanced computer game in 3d environments.
Rovastar

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:19 pm

copyright wouldnt cover something like this. Infact copyright is pretty much limited to EXACT copying (the crackdown is on copying DVD's CD's etc). Also from a software point of view, copyright only covers how something is implemented, not what it does. Copyright (in general) does not cover 'look and feel'.

Postby carmatic » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:09 pm

in fact, we can go and make a matrix guy look-alike (a la 3dmark2001) and get away with it
hey, its their own fault for being so creative that everybody else wants to copy off them... and it would be the copier's own problem if everybody hates him for being unoriginal, not any association's
carmatic

Postby rabidhamster » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:22 pm

R4 isn't meant to be a copy of hackers, but it could well look that way i guess.

I do however admit to shamelessly copying the matrix and many other visuals programs to get the scenes for R4. I'd like to have done it all myself, but if it was that way we wouldn't have anywhere near as many scenes as we do now :)

- Gordon
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby Just A Guest » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:40 am

Just A Guest

Return to R4