The future of R4?

Suggestions + Info on development of R4 visuals

Moderators: rabidhamster, Rovastar

The future of R4?

Postby ..i » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:27 pm

I'm really enjoying messing around with R4 and customising it.

I'm just wondering what can we expect from R4 in the future? Are there any new features that you're working on at the moment, Gordon?

The kind of features that immediately spring to my mind are (in no particular order):

Album art,

Lyric display,

More fonts for displaying announces and song information,

More eye candy, more scenes, more overlays and more scene transistions (particularly scene transitions)

An equaliser type system which gives you more control over how R4 reacts different frequency ranges (eg.. makes R4 more responsive to bass noises),

A horizontal time bar which highlights from left to right as the song progresses (ala Tripex3)

I'm not sure how AA and AF work in R4, but perhaps more control over that, because in some of the scenes the edges can look a bit heavy and rough, even in 1280x1024.

There are many more, but that's all I can think of right now. I'm sure you and many others have their own ideas about what features they's like to see in R4.
..i

Postby Rovastar » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:06 pm

? What edges look heavy and rough? Screenshots?

That is probably down to teh different scenes and the way the pbuffers are used. Reduce the pbuffer amount and see if the said scenes get worse and increase it to see if the said scenes get better.

Having lyric support are a pain in all visuaizations. FOr a start it will have to be music player based. Then you have have to get permission to use the lyric sever on the website and then I think all of them produce static lyric and not with the song. i.e you get all the lyrics for the song or nothing at all. How do you display 300 word of text on a screen at once.??!?

Album Art has been mentioned before and could be possible if the pictures are embedded in the new mp3 format, etc. I know G-Force has album art.

More scenes, transistions, overlays, etc come out all the time. :);)
I'll hopefuly finish another pack soon.

(Still waiting for the right time/money to buy a new computer first)

Tweaking the range for the bass might be tricky as the scenes all have different methods of detection although I suose a overall control for the rate of change that sounda is calculated is there.
Rovastar

Postby rabidhamster » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:30 pm

Hi. Main things for R4 in the near future are:

Linux support (mainly for embedding)
Midi/DMX light protocol support
Better video playback (and live feeds)
Better scripting for scenes (probably merging of the two script languages)
Support for Pixel/Vertex shader effects

There's more but i've forgotten. Mainly advancements will be targeted at professional users, but I will try and migrate some back to everyone else.

Album art is possible - and can be grabbed off of Amazon.com - its something I will work on. The tripex-like song bar can be added as an overlay and can be done with R4 as-is. When i get some time i'll add it.

I am going to add more customizable sound reaction soon too. Again, its just getting time :)

- Gordon
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Return to R4