radeon eyefinity multi monitor support?

Suggestions + Info on development of R4 visuals

Moderators: rabidhamster, Rovastar

radeon eyefinity multi monitor support?

Postby carmatic » Sun May 02, 2010 4:46 am

hey guys, i have just purchased an eyefinity radeon 5870
it has 6 video-outs

can R4 take advantage of the multimonitor capabilities of this card?
carmatic

Re: radeon eyefinity multi monitor support?

Postby carmatic » Thu May 13, 2010 9:44 am

actually, can anyone point me towards setting up r4 for multimonitor? i havent finished building my computer yet but i would like to read up about it
carmatic

Postby rabidhamster » Wed May 19, 2010 8:56 am

Any luck with this?
R4 effectively just has one big window for multi-monitor, so I guess in your desktop settings, set all your monitors up in a big square or something, then work out the effective size of that area (maybe 1920*2 by 1080*2 for 4 HD...).
You should then be able to go to:
* Settings
* Screen Settings
* Set Monitor to 'User Defined'
* Click on 'Fullscreen Placement'
* And you'll find that you can't actually set anywhere near the right values, so you need to edit prefs.txt and change:

fullscreen/top 0
fullscreen/left 0

fullscreen/height 3840
fullscreen/width 2160

hope that helps...
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby carmatic » Thu May 20, 2010 11:46 pm

will R4 be able to output 6 windows instead of just 4?
like these 'windows' would be arranged something like this:
carmatic

Postby rabidhamster » Fri May 21, 2010 8:02 am

Yes, totally - just change the width to 3x a screen's height instead of 2.
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby carmatic » Fri May 21, 2010 12:11 pm

so let me clarify one last time... can R4 output 6 different 'windows' ? i am about to buy a copy of windows to install on my new computer...
Last edited by carmatic on Fri May 21, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carmatic

Postby rabidhamster » Fri May 21, 2010 12:21 pm

6 windows = No.
1 window covering 6 monitors = Yes.

Think you set your PC up as one big desktop with all 6 monitors each taking one part of a 3x2 grid.

I believe that's what the game in the screenshot is doing - I don't know of many programs that allow their graphics to be rendered one section per window.
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby carmatic » Fri May 21, 2010 12:27 pm

so basically, R4 would be doing that eyefinity thing and divide one single screen amongst all the monitors?

i hope it would still look okay enough for the venue... they have a bunch of displays but they are on different walls and rooms ... everyone would see a section of the scene
carmatic

Postby rabidhamster » Fri May 21, 2010 1:42 pm

R4 wouldn't know it had 6 screens, but the eyefinity would just split the window up anyway.

You could just make a 'tile' overlay... There's already a 'mirror' one... Then you could choose how the scenes would appear on different screens by choosing different overlays.
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby carmatic » Fri May 21, 2010 8:22 pm

so basically what im doing is spreading the r4 window over all 6 monitors, and then splitting it up again to match the monitors?

can i have something different on each screen? like my understanding is that you could have an overlay with 6 sections, each containing a render-to-texture of a scene, and then have different effect applied to each render-to-texture ... but it will still be based on that one single scene... i was hoping that R4 would be able to , like, run 6 different scenes at once?
carmatic

Postby rabidhamster » Fri May 21, 2010 10:10 pm

yep, that's it. you could do images and things in the overlay itself i guess. Maybe turn each scene into an overlay and then stack them?

It turns out the Morphyre engine will happily do multiple scenes. However coming up with a nice way to let the user control that seems difficult, and I wonder what fraction of users would use it - so the feature hasn't been exposed yet... :(

edit: why not just run R4 6 times with 6 different settings and ports for the net interface?
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby carmatic » Sat May 22, 2010 12:38 am

will R4 allow multiple instances of itself to run? and will they cause a conflict if all of them try to listen to the audio in?
and if i 'maximize' one of the r4 windows, will it go eyefinity6 and take up all the screens, or will it behave just like i want it and take up only the screen its window happens to be on?

what is your idea of control in morphyre?
may i suggest sliders and dials and stuff, exposing the numerical parameters as linear graphical representations... as it happens, i have an acer t230h monitor, and i think that sliders would be quite intinuitive on a touchscreen... you could have a seperate 'bank' of controls for each screen/scene, etc ...
carmatic

Postby rabidhamster » Sat May 22, 2010 7:53 am

r4 should run many times. you'd have to create a batch file that would cpy in the correct prefs.txt then run each r4, and set up each r4 to use the orrect screen. but you're right about the sound input. that may not work... although maybe windows 7 is better?

I have sliders for some things in Morphyre pro, however what I mean is how do you choose how scenes are positioned on the screen, or change scenes in one area individually? but honestly I think the only peson to use it would be you, and unfortunately I have so little time now - and most of it is spent fending off idiots who want Morphyre Pro and 24 hour tech support for £2.40 :)
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby carmatic » Sat May 22, 2010 12:13 pm

how scenes are positioned on the screen? im thinking position, scaling and rotation of a render-to-texture ? with a touchscreen supporting 2 finger pinch gestures this would be exactly like using the iPhone ... but your right, i am probably the only person to use that...
i think that the thing about user interfaces is that its either all pretty and graphical and intinuitive but its also specific, or its all parameters and numbers but it lets you control everything...

what you need to do is make up a flow diagram of how you go from the basic scene set-ups to what is finally drawn on the screen
then base the UI off that
carmatic

Return to R4