R4 on Linux - SUCCESS!

Suggestions + Info on development of R4 visuals

Moderators: rabidhamster, Rovastar

Re: R4 on Linux - SUCCESS!

Postby Ausmosis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:40 am

Also make sure you are running the latest Beta version of wine.

Rgds

Ausmosis
Ausmosis

Postby 2mp » Wed May 19, 2010 3:49 am

I got it!

A month ago I had never used linux and now I'm balls-deep in 75-999 FPS on hardware that I thought needed upgrading. Not any more. Oh Windows, you've screwed me for the last time.

It was a graphic driver issue, I have two radeon hd46xx's and the wrong drivers were installed. Thanks for pointing out the problem rabidhamster. Can I call you Gordon?

But moreover, thanks for making the single-most powerful tool I've ever acquired for VJing. It's been years since i bought R4pro and I still haven't exhausted all the potential. Sometimes it feels like I'm just getting started.

I've got HD videos running without any lag in FPS, I can stack tons of overlays on top of each other, and I'm starting to get the hang of reverse-engineering the available presets without any programming knowledge.

I'm working on promoting myself online soon instead of only existing in Florida so I will post links to videos of shows once I get my Vimeo account together.

Once again, R4 represents the best money I ever spent on any software, ever, thanks!
2mp

Postby 2mp » Wed May 19, 2010 3:50 am

Thanks also to Ausmosis for responding to my cries!
2mp

Postby rabidhamster » Wed May 19, 2010 8:46 am

Sure, definitely call me Gordon :)

Glad to hear it's working well. I didn't think Linux drivers were too polished when it had to deal with dual video cards. However personally I find that Linux (even via Wine) does run things a lot more smoothly than Windows :)

Hopefully we'll have a Morphyre Pro software version out at some point, but general worries about piracy meant I spent a lot of time making a linux-based hardware-only Morphyre Pro, which appears to have quite limited appeal (plus a lot of the stuff won't carry over to Windows).

If *anyone* has cool photos/videos of stuff, drop me an e-mail with them... It'd be great to start a page of 'R4 in action' stuff (Am happy to link to your websites).
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby Ausmosis » Sun May 23, 2010 4:03 am

2mp:

Glad you got it working. For what its worth I haven't used Windows for years and wine has come a long way over the years. I should also point out that I have upgraded Ubuntu to 10.04 and R4 is working great!

Rgds

Ausmosis
Ausmosis

Previous

Return to R4