[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
RabidHaMsTeR.Org • View topic - MRCM Fractals

MRCM Fractals

How to create a custom scene, and custom scenes people have created.

Moderators: rabidhamster, Rovastar

MRCM Fractals

Postby Jussi » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:45 pm

I have been doing some interesting experiments with wireframes, space curves and some basic fractal techniques. You can find the results here:

Just extract the zip into your R4 root directory.

In the package are included a few centric fractals, a new Light Palette version of the Multi-Plasma and two overlays. The fractals use a very basic Multiple Reduction Copy Machine (MRCM) only consisting of scaling (shrinking) and/or rotation.

I made a B&W to Color overlay that changes the highest and lowest color values so that no black or white is shown. (And if you don't like my color cycling, you can easily remix the color functions for your preference.)

I also attached the Deep Dive Surface overlay that I already have posted earlier with the plasma scenes. It is actually one of my favorite overlays, and, IMHO, it looks good with most of these new scenes.

Try out these combinations:
Deep dive overlay with
-Circles Fractal
-Multi-plasma (Light Palette mix)

Deep dive overlay and B&W to Color:
-Spinning Twins Fractal
-Atom Fractal

You can find some screenshots here:
A universe is something that happens once in a while.
Jussi

Postby Rovastar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:38 pm

Cool I really like these. There will be more interesting stuff coming from these I feel.
Rovastar

Postby rabidhamster » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:20 pm

Looks really cool.
I wonder what the effect would be to add together multiple MRCMs each frame with red, green, and blue colours. You then effectively get 3 MRCMs that are very slightly different, but using the same texture.
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby Jussi » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:14 pm

Thank you boys :D
And thaks, Rabidhamster, for the idea, i might just experiment with different colors for different copies when I have time.

In general, MRCMs seem to be a very promising technique. They usually combine a nicely high level of small details that are in Harmony with larger shapes. And all this with ridiculously (ha, ha!) small comutational need, as the copying is spread out for a range of frames, still seamlessly for the viewer.
Jussi

Postby SpOOnmAn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:48 pm

Realy nice work jussi, the deep dive surface is also one of my favorit overlays, i used it in a new scene, i´m gonna post in my next pack, hope tis is ok for you?
i was looking back to see,
if you were looking back at me,
to see me looking back at you
SpOOnmAn

Postby rabidhamster » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:05 pm

Yeah. nice one. The starfish looks like the sierpinski gasket when it first starts off. I just wish it spent more of the time creating the fractal than when it just wanders off and makes shapes that don't really combine :)

The water overlay is also really nice. Do you think there's any way you could make a fader out of it? the current ones are looking a bit outdated.

- Gordon
rabidhamster
Site Admin

Postby Jussi » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:44 pm

Yes the MRCM sometimes creates the siepinski gasket. The difference here is that the starfish object is drawn on the fractal every frame and then copied again. The pictures of the siepinski gasket in math books are created by iterating the picture in a MRCM without drawing anything on the image, hence the starfish looks a bit different but the MRCM is identical.

Because the MRCM copies the image by adding them on each other, it sometimes saturates all colors in the middle. Maybe I could try to adjust it so that it would not do that... Alpha blending would also be handy :wink:

I have also thought about the water fader, but don't yet have any good idea on how it could be made.

And sp00nman, feel free to reuse my code, but please give me credit in the source.
Jussi

Postby SpOOnmAn » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:37 pm

i was looking back to see,
if you were looking back at me,
to see me looking back at you
SpOOnmAn

Return to R4 Custom Scenes